[dokuwiki] Re: Can one make a heading also a link?

  • From: "Robert Bronsdon" <reashlin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:23:24 -0000

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:37:55 -0000, Luis Machuca <ryan.chappelle@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wait... you say you want *links to external content* in the *document TOC*?
Now *that*'s bad design. The TOC is expected to have another kind of
functionality. Click a link, take you to a specific section in the document itself.

I would say _if_ the TOC of a page is being used for the purpose of exposing other pages, with each header having a small definition of the below page. Then this is good design from both a usability and accessibility standpoint. This works best when the underlying page can have a title matching the text from the line in the previous page.

Whereas having a bunch of 'read more...' or 'click here' links under headings would be bad design. For a screen reader, what's the difference between all the 'read more...' links on a page.

I know I know - this is in reality a religious debate. There is proof of right and wrong on both sides. I just thought at least both sides should be put across.

If the proposed is used wrong then what Luis has said stands - it would be a nightmare. However if using links in headers is done with consideration to the context of the site I don't see a problem.

--
Using Opera M2: http://www.opera.com/mail/