[dokuwiki] Re: Can one make a heading also a link?

  • From: Luis Machuca <ryan.chappelle@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 12:48:12 -0300

Jerry Schwartz escribió:

>> Wait... you say you want *links to external content* in the *document TOC*?
>
> [JS] I hadn't thought of it in those terms. That's not what I intended.
>
>> Now *that*'s bad design. The TOC is expected to have another kind of
>> functionality. Click a link, take you to a specific section in the document
>> itself.
>>
> [JS] Understood. The problem arises when the specific section itself is a
> list
> of links that is becoming quite long. Suppose the TOC has entries for
> "Products", "Publishers", "Contract Negotiation". If I click on "Products",
> I'm brought to the "Products" section. So far, so good: the "Publishers"
> section is a list of links.
>
> What happens when we have 200 publishers? The list of links itself becomes so
> long that it takes significant scrolling to get to, say, "Yankee Magazine".
> Even if I move the list of publishers to its own page, I still have the same
> problem.
>
> What would be a good design for this case?
>
> Regards,
>
> Jerry Schwartz
> The Infoshop by Global Information Incorporated
> 195 Farmington Ave.
> Farmington, CT 06032
>
> 860.674.8796 / FAX: 860.674.8341
>
> www.the-infoshop.com

In that case, what you have is already a good design: a list of links. If the
fact that a user has to scroll is a concern (which may not have to be, since
you can't guarantee that users have to scroll more or less than a specific
amount anyways -- what happens to mobile browsers or non-maximized windows
with your page?), you can take  advantage of the properties of the list itself.

Example: is the list sorted alphabetically? _Place subheadings for letter
ranges_, like: A-D, E-H, I-M, N-R, S-V, W-Z, 0-9/#. What subranges are needed
is up to you. Do some publishers have more "priority" than others? _Assign a
separate subsection to them_. The idea being,  a frequent visitor can bookmark
their way in with ease, and an infrequent/new visitor would be "guided"
towards content instead of thrown into it.

Hope it helps.

--
----
Luis Machuca Bezzaza