[dokuwiki] Re: Can one make a heading also a link?

  • From: Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:45:21 +0000

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 01:53:30PM -0300, Luis Machuca wrote:
> Chris G escribió:
> >> No this is not possible due to how the parser works because headlines are
> >> "special" - also this has been asked and answered a gazillion of times here
> >> on the mailinglist as well as the forum - and sursprise surprise - it's
> >> even
> >> a faq entry:
> >>
> >>    http://www.dokuwiki.org/faq:headerlinks
> >>
> > Oops, sorry!  Doesn't actually help much though as the tips it points
> > to show lots of ways of changing the style of a heading but no way to
> > get a link in a different style.
> >
> > There is a workaround if you do it in HTML though:-

> > Text</a></h3></html>
> >
> > Maybe this could go in the FAQ?  I'm quite happy to add it if it's
> > thought reasonable.  (It needs htmlok to be ticked of course)
> >
> That's understandable -- no links or any other sort of content in headers is
> *wanted behaviour*, since titles are titles, and also a god thing accesibility
> wise.

Well I wanted it!  :-)

> A link in a / as a header, IMHO, essentially says: "sorry, what goes below
> here should go into its own page instead, but can't get myself to move it".
> It strongly deviates attention from the current content, and what is linked in
> a header may not even be in sync with what the encompassing article says.

I agree with you that in many/most cases one doesn't want a link as a
header but it can be sensible sometimes.

In the case in point it's on a page which is a collection of
information about businesses and such, the headers would be links to
the business' own web sites and the text underneath is extra
information that I have collected.  It feels very logical to me in
this case to have the header being a link.  It's a very commonly used
approach, I found an example very quickly:- http://www.htmlhelp.com/

> The practical way to solve the issue is, of course, not a link in a header,
> but a link right below a header with some indication such as "See also" or
> "Main article".

IMHO that's a bodge working around something you want to do but can't do.

--
Chris Green