[softwarelist] Re: Tablemate alternative

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:56:38 +0000

David Pilling wrote:
In message <4743C3D2.6070509@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Prewett <pprewett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
The documents make extensive use of Tablemate not for its
spreadsheet facility buts ability to create tables with pictures
as well as text.

Is there anything in the Windows world that will do the job?

I would guess someone has done a table editor for Windows - probably there are millions. One trick is that you can copy/paste from Excel - it saves things as Windows meta files to the clipboard. I presume that also works with free versions like Open Office.

Can you? What's the trick? I have never managed to import an emf file into OPW. Is there a filter that has to be loaded first? Cutting and pasting from the Windows clipboard into an OPW frame only seems to transfer the text, not borders or images.

On the other hand, I can cut and paste from an Excel spreadsheet (table or graph) into Adobe Illustrator, where the text and paths remain editable. I often create graphs in Excel, copy them into AI, "tweak" them, then export as eps or tiff(etc.). Can you do that with ArtWorks, I wonder ...?
--
C.B.