[softwarelist] Re: OvPro Line borders

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2013 19:20:10 +0000 (GMT)

In article <bd4538b353.janvred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jhr JMAH van Vredenburch <janvredenburch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message <53aec58fbbdave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > It's a shame that the old Impression draw based borders are such an
> > awful rectal region to create.

> > In all the years I was using Impression, then later OvPro I think that
> > of all the borders I've tried to create (Many) only a couple were ever
> > successful.

> > And yes on many occasions I've consulted the Impression manual page
> > 168 and IIRC. chatted with someone hereabouts on the subject, but
> > still it fails. (For them and for me).

> It is indeed a terrible pain in the neck and quite time consuming. The
> basic pattern is a vertical pattern and a pattern for the corner(s).
>  What I did discover is that the following order in which the lines
> are drawn (in Draw) in the vertical pattern and then in the corner
> pattern must be done in that precise order. So if you have 3 lines in
> the vertical pattern numbered 1, 2 and 3 and three corner patterns
> named a, b and c you must:
>      first draw line 1
>      then draw line a, so that it lines up at the bottom with the
>      top of line 1
> out of security save this
>      then draw line 2
>      followed by line b and line up as stated above
> and the same for the 3rd pair of lines.

> Now group lines 1, 2 and 3 and do the same with a, b and c. Carefully
> position the group a-b-c above the group 1-2-3.

> BUT...

> Behind these lines one also needs 1 or 2 invisible frames. I have as
> yet not been able to sort out the logic behind these frames. One needs
> this to position the vertical and corner frame correctly. So that the
> corner does appear at the corner.

> And possibly the starting point of every object is also important.

> I have Style, the manual got lost when I moved a few years back, so I
> do not know if the manual page 168 is of any help here.

I've scanned and OCR'd the relevant bit of page 168 it is quite brief,
pasted in below.

Dave

Creating new borders using !Draw

There are some rules to follow when creating a new border
design using!Draw. These are
 Create the left-hand border. That is, make it tall and thin
and designed so that it touches the left-edge of the frame.
When Impression uses this border on the other edges of a
frame, it rotates the border as required.

 You can have several objects in your draw-file. If so, there
are differences between how the backmost object and the
other objects are handled:

˜ The edge of the frame is aligned with the right-hand
edge of the backmost object. The other objects are
positioned relative to this edge.

˜ The backmost object is stretched so that it exactly fits
the edge of the frame. The other objects do not
change shape but slide to a scaled position along the
edge of the frame.

The backmost object is, by default, the first object created. You
can change the stacking order in !Draw using the Select
command. For more information on !Draw, refer to Acorn's
User Guide.