[softwarelist] OvPro Line borders

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 08:14:26 +0000 (GMT)

On 04 Dec, dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> In article <efca39b453.janvred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Jhr JMAH van Vredenburch <janvredenburch@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message <53b35c0fe4dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [Snip]

> > > I've scanned and OCR'd the relevant bit of page 168 it is quite
> > > brief, pasted in below.

> > Thank you very much. I now understand why users have trouble to
> > understand how to create Draw borders.

> > Time permitting is I shall see what results and perhaps better
> > explanation I can come up with.

> Okay. I've had a serious brain bash at the border business and I've
> managed to create a simple border that works.

> I've written up the process and supplied the finished border file ready
> to be dropped into the ...!OvnPro.!OvnResDir.Borders  directory to play
> with.

> If you use the below noted URL, it'll download an archive containing...

> How/dpd       An OvPro document detailing the process.
> Z4WLHowto     A drawfile with a description of how to do it.
> Image/Jpg     A screen grab of the process and illustration of various
>               elements.
> Z4WL          The drawfile border created by the described process,and
>               ready to drop into the OvPro Borders directory.
>               (...!OvnPro.!OvnResDir.Borders).

> http://www.triffid.co.uk/dstuff/borderhow.zip

> Enjoy
> Dave

Perhaps I should have mentioned, the above notes work on the specific
example, but there's something weird about how OvPro displays the borders
that you have to be aware of...

For example, put Z4WL into Draw and ungroup, change the external most
frame line in both blocks from 1mm to 2mm.

Regroup as per article, bring corner block to the front, Save to Ov...
Borders as "Z4WL2". (That'll make it last in the Frame dialogue list).

Run OvPro and apply the border to a frame (8-10mm).

Here everything is still positioned correctly but the corner block
external lines are displayed thinner... Ooer!

However, if you now print that frame out, you'll find the lines are in
fact all correct.

I experimented with the lines and proved to myself it was the OvPro
display of the border that was the problem and not the Border file itself.

Interestingly, When using border Z4LW2, if the  width in the OvPro frame
dialogue is increased to 20mm the display artifact goes away.

So if you are interested in playing with borders in OvPro, I'd suggest
printing out your creation from OvPro if it looks dodgy, before dumping it.

Obviously there are some failures that are obvious... I had one yesterday
when I accidentally grouped the two element blocks together before
saving... Ooer! biggy distortion.

(See article, The length/width grouped elements should not be grouped with
the corner grouped elements.)

Dave

--

Dave Triffid