[softwarelist] Re: Installing OvnPro on 64bit W8.1

  • From: "Tonnie-mw Demarteau" <2ndhalf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 21:15:36 +0200

Hi

From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists
Sent: Friday, October 9, 2015 7:05 PM
To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [softwarelist] Re: Installing OvnPro on 64bit W8.1

On 2015-10-09 13:55, David Pilling wrote:

Hi,

The @ signs are expected. It is probably not as one should handle
Windows fonts - but I left it, it gives you some extra fonts.

JN: OK;

Google @fonts and you get the answer, where these fonts are intended for.

As to font installation - I'd be inclined to just copy the font files
from my other computer and not mess with the installer.

JN: The previous machines died with disk (or maybe FS) failures; I might be
able to recover the files from a backup but I'm not sure that I ever
backed up the contents of C:\Windows...
I am not sure about 8.1, but (I think it was the same) in Windows 10 64 bit,
the easiest way to install a font is open it (as any other file, click on it).
There is a display of the font and at the top you get an icon “Install”. Click
on it and the font is installed.
As far as you are speaking about the fonts, which came with OPW, you can find
these on David Pilling’s website.

JN: I did note that a: dir "C:\Windows\fonts" in a command window does
show a normal list of files, so if I do manage to find the font files on one
of my other machines, I will probably be able to copy them into there
with a copy CLI command, even though I'm less sure that Windows' File
Explorer will do that.

Curator - WAS LISTED (its name is in italics)

I suspect these italicised names are 'virtual' fonts, ones where OP
maps a RISC OS font name to a real Windows font. This is a feature of
OP, not the font installer.

JN: Ah, ok.

Just look at the Web page Fonts in David Pilling’s website. There is an
extensive explanation, which fonts (from different suppliers) are the same.
As an example: Curator and Corpus are mapped (Italic in menu) to New Courier.

Also I had trouble to keep OPW registered. At random, when I opened an OP doc,
I was asked to register. Although I was logged in as Administrator.

What did the trick for me was: I right-clicked on OPW, chose “Run as
Administrator”, registered and closed OPW.
I don’t know, whether this is the solution, but since then, I don’t get asked
anymore to register.

When I look at Help >> Register, I get the Register frame saying:
Registration Key. Most important here is of course “Status: Registered”.
Of course, I closed that window without doing anything.

Remainder of mail skipped,

Tonnie Demarteau