[softwarelist] Re: Installing OvnPro on 64bit W8.1

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 19:44:40 +0100

In message <f46c43be999da6b2a21c4e3174bca12f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Jeremy Nicoll - freelists
<jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2015-10-10 07:51, Martin Vethake wrote:

BTW, the only way to grant full administrator-rights is to use "Run as
Administrator". Logging-in as Administrator is impossible in Windows
as it is in Linux. Setting a user as 'Administrator' in Windows
_doesn't_ allow full admin-rights, this is by design and best practice
(since ages).

Yes; I choose to run my machine with UAC set to its most intrusive
behaviour. I prefer
to see UAC limiting what any user might do.

Then, the most obvious difference when logged in as an administrator is
that instead
of getting UAC prompts for an admin password, the UAC dialogues merely
confirm that
you really want to do things. I suppose that, to a casual user, both
UAC dialogues
may seem (equally) annoying, but I am happy with the way they work.

Jusy to clarify:

Up to XP, you could log in as the user called Administrator. That gave
you full control.
You could create other users in the Administrators group. They also
had full control.

From Vista onwards, the Administrator account is only used to install
Windows, and thereafter is hidden. You can create other users in the
Administrators group, but they don't have full control. For full
control you have to run the executable as administrator. This is
pretty much the same as using "sudo <exceutable>" on Linux/Unix.
In this case the executable you need to run as administrator is the
installer, so that it gets full access to the Registry.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx