[softwarelist] Re: Installing OvnPro on 64bit W8.1

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:31:28 +0100

On 2015-10-12 11:46, Andy Ling wrote:

When you installed and registered OPro did you use "run as
administrator"? If not, I suspect the registration of OPro is in the
wrong place in the registry, or had the wrong permissions, so the font
installer doesn't find it.

That doesn't really make sense, for OP itself, which definitely does not
run as administrator, is able to register itself and detect subsequently
that it is registered.

This is really a Windows faff. The registration needs to be added
to the "user" that is going to be logged in when running OPW.
This is stored in the registry associated with that user. So
you must be logged in as that user to set it.
But Windows won't
let you change the registry without "permission".

Lots of programs change parts of the registry all the time, without
needing any extra authority.

To get permission
you must "run as administrator".

I think that's only required for some keys; presumably machine-specific
ones, generally rather than those in the user-specific hives.

So to make sure all the right
bits of the registry are a set correctly, login as the normal OPW
user. Install OPW (if it isn't already) then run OPW by right
clicking and choosing "run as administrator". Then register OPW.
This is a one off thing.

From now on you should be able to run OPW as normal by double clicking
and everything should see OPW as being registered.

I haven't had any problem registering OP, though - as I would expect - I did
need to do it from each userid.

I did not need to run OP as administrator to register it.

OP is able to see that it is registered, subsequently, without being run as
administrator.

The problem I reported was all to do with InstallFonts.exe not recognising
that OP was registered. If OP can see that it is registered, when not
running as administrator, InstallFonts.exe should also be able to detect
that in the same situation.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own