[softwarelist] Re: Installing OvnPro on 64bit W8.1

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 18:05:50 +0100

On 2015-10-09 13:55, David Pilling wrote:

Hi,

The @ signs are expected. It is probably not as one should handle
Windows fonts - but I left it, it gives you some extra fonts.

OK;

As to font installation - I'd be inclined to just copy the font files
from my other computer and not mess with the installer.

The previous machines died with disk (or maybe FS) failures; I might be
able to recover the files from a backup but I'm not sure that I ever
backed up the contents of C:\Windows...

I did note that a: dir "C:\Windows\fonts" in a command window does show
a normal list of files, so if I do manage to find the font files on one
of my other machines, I will probably be able to copy them into there with
a copy CLI command, even though I'm less sure that Windows' File Explorer
will do that.

Curator - WAS LISTED (its name is in italics)

I suspect these italicised names are 'virtual' fonts, ones where OP
maps a RISC OS font name to a real Windows font. This is a feature of
OP, not the font installer.

Ah, ok.

By the sound of it the font installer has failed because it can't see
that the main program is registered. I would wonder if the main
program has actually registered correctly.

As you say on newer versions of Windows one has to run it as
administrator (right click on desktop shortcut) and then enter the
registration data.

I would start OP from cold then Help Menu->registration, and see if it
says it is registered.

I shut down the laptop and rebooted; after that logging back in as the admin
id OP still said it was rgeistered, but for my other id said it wasn't. I
expected that because presumably the registration info is stored in a userid-
specific paert of the registry. I copied my registration data into the
relevant place from that userid, and rebooted.

After that, the ordinary user is seen as being properly registered too. That
suggests that the registration info IS surviving logout ok, for both users.

Having said that, is it right that the Help menu still shows a Register...
option, and within that it then displays the registered username, with a
blank field for the key data? One has to click Cancel to back out of that
display because pressing Enter tries to redo the registration process which
fails, presumably because no key value was present?

Anyway, I logged back in as the admin id, checked that OP said it was registered,
and tried running InstallFonts.exe again. It still says that OP is not registered.

Then I tried running InstallFonts.exe as Administrator (even though that shouldn't
be necessary as I'm logged in as that, and in any case OP itself doesn't run as Admin
and it does know it's registered) and that again displays the not-registered error.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own