RE: USF4 changes!

  • From: Wynand-Ben <paashaasggx@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:12:49 +0000

One wonders...
How much of this is hardcoded into your genes or due to other circumstances.
Like if you would clone a person.  Would they have the same sexual orientation
or violent tendencies or other cravings or whatever one is suppose to call them
etc. etc.
Got reminded of this watching Orphan black the other day.  (Involves cloning
etc.)

Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 17:06:46 +0200
Subject: Re: USF4 changes!
From: nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx
To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Using rational solutions for irrational problems.
I get it.  It doesn't work.
Some folks will not fit into a "normal social standard" no matter how hard you
want them too.

It's often something I contemplate when it comes to my Catholic doctrine.
People who commit suicide often have mental/chemical imbalances which push them
over the edge.
Should they all be condemned because of it?

It is something I struggle with.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It gets very tricky though.  At some point you have to draw the line.

But it's actually a very real problem, even in this country.  "Tik" babies are
known to have serious cognitive defects and don't play well with others.  I
mean that in a very literal sense - they exhibit very aggressive behaviour and
develop very poor (by our standards) social skills.  Chances are, even today in
our prisons offenders' parents were or are either alcoholics or drug addicts,
or both.  The problem is the correctional institution is based on the idea that
the people within the system are all "normal" individuals.  This is one of the
reasons it's very hard to rehabilitate some prisoners.  The methods we use just
don't work.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Ryan Williams <ryan820509@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's an interesting perspective on it. As members of society, it's natural
for us to react to such occurrences negatively without trying to understand the
root cause.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That is a very interesting and profound question that has serious implications
for our legal system.

I can talk about it at length, but briefly:
- they've discovered that certain (treatable) mental afflictions can result in
violent behaviour

- certain mental afflictions can trigger sexual desires where none existed
before
- diet is correlated with violent behaviour
- certain parasites can control host behaviour

I'm reminded about the story about Charles Whitman.  A few days before his
shooting spree he typed this letter:

I don't quite understand what it is that compels me to type this letter.... I
don't really understand myself these days... Lately I have been a victim of
many unusual and irrational thoughts. These thoughts constantly recur, and it
requires a tremendous mental effort to concentrate. I consulted Dr. Cochrum at
the University Health Center and asked him to recommend someone that I could
consult with about some psychiatric disorders I felt I had.... I talked to a
doctor once for about two hours and tried to convey to him my fears that I felt
overcome by overwhelming violent impulses. After one session I never saw the
Doctor again, and since then I have been fighting my mental turmoil alone, and
seemingly to no avail. After my death I wish that an autopsy would be performed
to see if there is any visible physical disorder. I have had tremendous
headaches in the past and have consumed two large bottles of Excedrin in the
past three months.

http://brainmind.com/Amygdala44.html

After his autopsy the discovered a tumour that was pressing against his
amygdala.

Then there's stuff like this:

The sudden and uncontrollable paedophilia exhibited by a 40-year-old man
 was caused by an egg-sized brain tumour, his doctors have told a
scientific conference. And once the tumour had been removed, his
sex-obsession disappeared.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2943-brain-tumour-causes-uncontrollable-paedophilia.html

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Nicholas Robertson-Muir <nicmuir@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Ja, sad bru.

It would be interesting to see what makes a criminal mind go from just fantasy
to reality.

Then there could be some way to prevent it.