Re: DRE: CTS community mail

  • From: Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 16:51:47 +0200

The law is actually the same in many parts of the world, it's just that
courts and juries usually value the idea of "private property" over the
rights of trespasser.  In South Africa, courts value human life over
property.

You're not allowed to kill a trespasser (this is true in most places in the
world), or even injure them unless you feel that your life is being
endangered.  So criminals take advantage of this, and South Africa's
emphasis on human rights in this way:

I break into your house.  You confront me with a pistol and tell me to
leave.  I refuse and approach with a knife in hand.  You shoot me, but I
survive.  I tell the cops that I put the knife down and surrendered when I
saw you with a gun.  Now you have to prove that you shot in self-defense,
and I was lying.  That is why cops advise home owners to shoot burglars in
the head.  Dead men tell no tales.