Re: [cpsig] Re: K1a - 4-8-4 #3101Construction Video

  • From: "KVRailway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:23:40 -0800

All excellent points, Don. However, as I don't have to tell you, there were always the few dogmatic managers and reps who simply were not capable of common-sense compromises. It was the age-old problem of this world - uncomprehending, bored, fed-up and impatient people who wanted quick, one-size-fits-all solutions to problems. And then you had the situation in the rail yard, where a yard car inspector couldn't walk up and down a track without his hard hat on, yet the trainman beside him didn't have to wear a hard hat. In most instances, a yard carman wasn't in any more hazard of a falling or flying object than was a trainman. In cases of head bumps underneath equipment, in most cases, you had to take the hard hat off or you couldn't get your noggin into where you needed to stick it in order to see what you were doing. Safety glasses were another dandy fight. Side shields on glasses made a lot of sense in the backshop, a heck of a lot less so in the yard where peripheral vision was extremely important. It went on, ad nauseum. I won't tell you about the two guys who didn't like the third man on the mobile auxiliary crane, so they convinced the company and the union that there was no problem making lifts with just two men. One guy ran the crane and the other guy was on the ground. He had no problem with working underneath a suspended load. If anything happened, the craneman would have had to leave the crane controls to try to help. A stop was put to working under the suspended loads, but the two-man crane operation continued. I am a total believer in Christian angels, because there has to be some kind of benevolent force out there in the universe which keeps such guys from getting hurt or killed - most of the time.

Joe Smuin

1. - "Joey, the secret to telling a good railway story is to always try to stick just as close to the facts as possible." --- (the late) Cliff Inkster; CPR Engineman, raconteur and philosopher.
2. - The secret to contacting Joe by email is to be sure to insert "Joe" or "Smuin" into the main text portion of any message you send to him, and thus your message should percolate through his spam filters.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Thomas" <thomasd@xxxxxxx>