Re: [cpsig] Re: K1a - 4-8-4 #3101Construction Video

  • From: "Roger Traviss" <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:37:29 -0800

Roger, do you mean a crew change point? The term division point can be ambiguous but generally means a terminal at the boundary of a division or within a division where crews change (although not all of them necessarily will). Farnham was actually the division headquarters until transferred to Sherbrooke in the 1960s. A division point exists even if some trains do not change crews there.

I'm not certain of which crews on through trains worked through Farnham and which changed there. Trains on the branches north and south, and locals on the main lines terminated there. Cars on these local were switched at Farnham. Some other traffic was also switched at Farnham but I'm not familiar with the details or the reason why it couldn't be switched at Montreal.

Thanks Don.

I've a timetable for 195? and another for 1957 but they're filed away for future reference when I move and rebuild the GER in March 2010.

I'll refer to them when the time comes but I'm always looking for background info. as timetables are only part of the story. Extras, for example, don't appear in the timetable so you have no real idea of how much traffic passed through or terminated or originated at a place like Farnham. There were even such things as regular extras, that ran every day but you'd not know that from the timetable.

Cheers

Roger T.