<CT> Re: ?Stupid? Calmira Questions

  • From: Norm Finch <NormF@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 21:56:03 -0500

> ... any experience with RamDoubler?

It works pretty well on my machine, although like all things touched
by marketing types, it suffers from hyperbole.  Sometimes it doubles
RAM, sometimes it even does better.  It's presently boosting my system
resources from 17% free to 50% free.  But most of the time, the gains
are more like about a half to a fourth of that.  On the other hand, I
have yet to see it lose anything -- they are all gains.

However, it does have its bugs.  It doesn't get along with well with
my printer driver (I have an Epson Stylus Color 440).  The only way to
access the driver is to load a copy of Windows without RAM Doubler
invoked whenever I want to change printer resolution, do photo
printing ... or vice versa, return to normal settings.  Otherwise,
there is an instant, absolutely fatal GPF under RAM Doubler the second
I click on "Printer Options.".  Waiting on a complete reboot and
cleaning up the assorted trash scattered around the hard drive in the
aftermath is a pain.  You learn real quickly not to do that.  There
may or may not be more bugs, but on my machine at least, this one is
certain.

Still, I am running RAM Doubler, even as I write.

Regards,
Norm
--
"The chief virtue that language can have is clearness." - Hippocrates
               -- Peace.  Write well.  Do good work. --