[cad-linux] Re: Introduction

  • From: phrostie <pfrostie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 03:17:02 -0700 (PDT)

> Carlos:
> Back in 2000, when I first became interested in Linux, I also did a searc=
> h for=20
> a Linux-based CAD program. At the time, I was working as a mechanical=20
> engineer, using AutoCAD 2000 and ProE, and sought something with similar=20
> capabilities. Among others, I considered LinuxCAD. However, on further=20
> investigation I learned that there was considerable controversy about it =
> as a=20
> result of a very unfavorable review by Robert Wuest. I dropped any furthe=
> r=20
> consideration of LinuxCAD. It is possible that Mr. Wuest's many objection=
> s to=20
> LinuxCAD may have been resolved since then,

i've wondered about that as well, but since they insist on charging for a demo
i doubt it.

> or that Mr. Wuest's review may have been grossly unfair.

no he wasn't, i was a linuxcad customer back in 1999/2000 as well.
he was being very fair.  it was one of the first cad apps on my cad-tastrafy
page.
i removed it.  i wish they'd change the name.

> However, before you spend any money on LinuxCAD=
> ,=20
> you should read the correspondence about the matter; a Google search on=20
> "LinuxCAD Wuest" is a good start.
>
> Since I'm now retired, I no longer have a need for any CAD program. Howev=
> er, I=20
> did try the trial version of VariCAD that came with Mandrake 9.0, and tha=
> t=20
> would probably be my first choice if the need (or urge) should arise.

Varicad is a much better package, always has been.  and they have been working
hard to make it better with each release.

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
//www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux

http://search.yahoo.com