[cad-linux] Re: Introduction

  • From: Lee Fickenscher <elfick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cad-linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:39:24 -0400

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 09:47:17AM -0400, Jim Parker wrote:

> GtkCAD will be a server/client architecture.  I hope to be able to use
> thin-clients, but have done no testing to date.
>
> Development is slow, so I would not count on a GtkCAD release for your
> immediate business plans.

I mean absolutely no disrespect as I imagine CAD software has to be some
of the hardest to develop, but I checked the sourceforge site, and the
project is listed as started in 2000-10 with zero activity and still in
the planning stage. There is also a blurb on the homepage about legal
status. Has that been cleared up or is it still a concern.

I'm currently employed with a civil engineering/survey firm and I'd like to
have a proposal to move to a free/OSS system (for all needs both CAD and
office) within the next 2 years. As there don't seem to be any Linux
CADs that specifically address civil/survey, I had been considering
developing my own solution, but as I'm a novice programmer at best and a
non-engineer, it was quite a daunting thought. I'd much rather get into
a project that is still planning or just beginning development and
influence it to include civil/survey rather than building Yet Another
Specific CAD for Linux, YASCL (tm) :-)

What I'm really interested in seeing is a generic CAD engine that isn't
tied to a specific GUI or engineering style. One that can be modularized
to use any GUI toolkit and have plugins for any specific engineering
need. Obviously, client/server architecture lends itself well to this
seperation of engine and gui, and thus would be an excellent direction
to go.

I don't consider myself a developer, but I'm learning and if there is
any way I can help, let me know.

-Lee
lfickenscher <at> ppaengineering <dot> com
--
Lee Fickenscher
IT Manager