[bookshare-discuss] Re: Volunteering for Bookshare

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: szostak.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 07:20:54 -0400

Hi all,

I'm a proofer.  I really don't enjoy scanning at all.

One thing you will find about books is that they come in all kinds. I usually proof straight novels. These take a minimum of niggling effort, have few tables and so on. I'd suggest starting with something like this. On the other hand, some people like to proof nonfiction books including text books and these are more difficult. They have tables and charts and indices and so on and on, so if you like to be bedeviled by details, this may be for you.

One thing that is helpful is to find a good scanner with whom you can work. This is the best way to proof because you know the scanner. He or she has probably still got the print copy, and you can communicate with the scanner while you're proofing. Bookshare has, however, made it easier to communicate with scanners. when you look at the book page for a book which is on the checkout list, you will find a section which lists the scanner's name and email.

Happy to have you with us, Chris.  We can always use more volunteers.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring