[bookshare-discuss] Re: Volunteering for Bookshare

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 15:35:36 -0700

Hi, Christine, I have done some proofreading in the past for Bookshare on a
volunteer basis, practically the sort of stuff I'd want to read myself,
which is why I stuck to fiction. Of course I was doing that on a Windows XP
machine and using a BrailleNote mPower 32, but I expect once I know how to
deal with Word 2013, I'll be starting with my Focus 40 Blue Braille display.
I personally prefer to have Braille near me because I'd use it to check the
spacing of a line and to see if there are any scanning errors. What the ears
may miss, the fingers might catch, at least that's what I felt at the time.
It used to irritate me that the publishers would have typographical errors
in their books because Bookshare's policy is that the submitted scan must
contain the printed text of the book warts and all. I really detest leaving
glitches in books as I think it mars the reading experience. There would be
plenty of correspondence between me and the submitter of the file because I
though the submitter ought to know my progress in proofreading their file
and my thoughts about it. It was also handy because I could ask questions
about the text to make sure that such-and-such a line on page such-and-such
was really supposed to say thus-and-so. This was done by me copying the
questionable bits and emailing to the submitter to verify. I never skimmed
through files. I felt I should read every single word. Even if the submitter
did a dandy job, I felt I should do that, since if this person bothered to
scan the book and maybe did a lot of proofreading the file before submitting
it, I figured I should devote equal time to make sure everything was as
perfect as it could be given the policy at Bookshare. So if you are that
sort of proofreader, welcome to the merry band of deranged perfectionists
who knitpick about page breaks, typos, etc. etc. Regards, Kim Friedman.