[bookshare-discuss] Re: Volunteering for Bookshare

  • From: Nimit <kaur.nimit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 17:16:40 -0400

Hi, Chris,
First, welcome to Bookshare and this list.  Second, there are certain
requirements in proofreading from bookshare such as title = 20 points bold and
chapters = 16 points bold.  These are the ones who the volunteers have to make
sure exist in the book and of course, there are some more requirements but I
only mention the one coming to my mind at this moment.  As far as matching text
goes, if I am unsure about something such as a scano, I usually contact the
scanner hoping that they can assist.  The Bookshare volunteering list has great
people in which some are sighted who are willing to take a sneak peak either
from Amazon or loaning a book from their library system for assisting.  I
personally find it easier to proofread with a braille display.  That way, I can
see spelling and punctuation.  Now, there have been times when the book has a
spelling error and you think it is a scano, but it matches with the print book
you had someone confirm.  Then, we are supposed to leave it like that and not
change the copyright version.  I have had instances like that in which I
encountered a spelling scano and apparently it matched the print book so I left
it there.  Basically, the short answer to your question from my experience is
ask.  I hope that helps a bit.
Have a great day to you too!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPad