[bookshare-discuss] Re: Volunteering for Bookshare

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 22:16:31 -0400

Dear Chris,

One of the things you’ll like about volunteering for Bookshare is that your
good judgment is not just respected, but counted on. After some practice,
you’ll recognize recurring letter combinations that suggest that you’re seeing
a scanno. You’ll also get clues from the context.

There are deal breakers in proofreading where you would be asked to recheck
your book. There must be a title page and a copyright page. The bolding needs
to be correct so readers can navigate your book. When it comes to proofreading
text, your practical conclusions will suffice 99% of the time. You’ll only be
collaborating with the scanner for the big fixes like missing or garbled text
or pages.

As I proofread, for the fun of it, I record scannos that the spell checker
wouldn’t catch because they form true words. The list is so long now that I can
go for a couple weeks without finding a new one. These few samples illustrate
why the perfectionists among us read the whole book and then spellcheck,
instead of simply spell checking.

Snort for short

snots for shots

snouted for Shouted

sod for soil

sonic for some

Sony for Sorry

Spam for Spain

swine for swing

swatch for snatch

tagged for ragged

tacky for lucky

Taint for faint

The for me

Enjoy the journey!

Always with love,

Lissi

Christine Szostak

Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:49 PM
To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bookshare-discuss] Volunteering for Bookshare

Hi All,
  I am considering volunteering for Bookshare and have a quick question. My
particular interest is in proof reading as I have done a fair amount of general
proofing for students, peers, and colleagues and love doing it!

  As I am totally blind, I was curious if anyone here without any vision is a
proof reader and how you  deal with things like making sure paging is
accurately matching the original hard-copy source and how you deal with things
like  knowing that bolding needs to be added without looking visually at the
original source... I know how you check for these types of things with JAWS so
I would know how to check whether they are present or not, but  what I do not
know is how to check whether they match the original text. Any advice or
suggestions would be much appreciated!
Have a wonderful week!
Chris
Christine M. Szostak, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology
Shorter University
Rome, Georgia
szostak.1@xxxxxxx

If you are interested in a professional consultation for a vision loss related
issue see:
http://findingthevision.wikidot.com

If you are in need of a professional consultation for general
research/statistical related issues see:
http://researchconsulting.wikidot.com

If you are looking for professional proof reading or editorial review services