[bookshare-discuss] Re: Hello

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 05:10:32 -0700

Hi, Patti, I know there are folks who would rather run screaming from the
room rather than contemplate proofreading anything. First of all, Jamie
Yates' submissions are so good you hardly have to do anything. It's a walk
in the park, to use a cliché. Speaking for myself, I find I can have fun
proofreading because I only take on books I want to read (so far),and I find
that part of me can have a marvelous time reading the file from first to
last and when I come across something, the little critic or spotter pops up
saying: "Okay, did you see that bullet, that star,Hmm. that doesn't make
sense, now what can that be? Oh, yeah, it's barn and not bam. Better get rid
of that one. Okay, job done." Then the reader continues having a whale of a
time and the checker cogitates and says: "Hmm! so that's what it's supposed
to be." It's funny but I feel gleeful when a page looks right with headers
stripped (if the submitter didn't do it, you'll have to), and everything
looking spiffy. I must say I'm glad I have speech and Braille to help me
out. Also, it's really neat when you can consult with a submitter in case
something in the text stumps you. I always like to send periodic notes to
the submitter of the file I'm working on, or if not, to somebody who has the
book/file in case I can't figure what the problematic text is supposed to
be. Patti, I'll be more than happy to help you out and I'll pass along to
you what was passed along to me. I don't know if you have Skype or not, but
sometimes talking with somebody who has encountered what you have helps a
lot. Mind you, I'm still learning and I'm just a smidge further along than
you (but not by much). Good luck with your project and we'll give you three
cheers when your first proofread ends up in the collection. I feel satisfied
if somebody downloads a work I worked on and finds it easy to read. Best
Regards, Kim.

  _____