[bookport] Re: no upgrade path. no upgrade path

  • From: "Fred Wurtzel" <f.wurtzel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 23:38:13 -0400

Hello,

I would like to add to what you say about APH and its funding.  I do not
wish to be critical, I only wish to point out that APH is unique in that
nearly 85% of its funding comes from the federal Government.  I support this
funding in view of the positive benefit it provides.  It is a non-profit
with a funding source that is the envy of most such organizations.

Below is a summary of APH funding as taken from its annual report available
on its web page.

One change in marketing that would benefit blind consumers is to offer
quantity discounts to resellers.  APH  "sells" its products to schools who
receive these products at no cost through a system of quota funds.  Each
state receives an amount based on the number of blind children in the state.
So, the prices of merchandise are not necessarily effected by the market
since the federal government underwrites these costs.

Re sellers cannot get these products at a wholesale cost and resell them.  I
believe such a change would benefit consumers and APH by making items
available to non-quota customers at a lower price and making products more
locally available.

Again, this is not a condemnation of APH.  I simply would like the market to
influence pricing for those of us who do not get our products from an agency
that does not necessarily pay for them.

Here is the data from APH.

Financial and Production Highlights 2005
Revenue Dollar
62.7% Federal Quota
14.4% Other
3.2% Nongovernment Contracts