[bookport] Re: braille translation mistakes

  • From: "Rose Combs" <rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 11:02:09 -0700

This is sort of Book port related, in that it involved the Double-Talk
synthesizer.

Shortly after I got them to install speech for me on the work computer,
using ASAP and the Double talk I was typing a report one day and someone
asked me to listen to something they were having trouble with.  I returned
to my desk several minutes later after we had been through several
dictionaries and placed a call to the reference librarian at our local
library for an answer.

I pressed the read line key and heard"
"The patient was seen by drive west Horsley."  I was totally perplexed, I
could not believe I had typed it that way.  I  used the character reading
keys to go through it and of course. It was typed correctly.  As "Dr. W.
Horsley.

I had been to a demonstration of another screen-reader a few months earlier,
one that is no longer, and remembered them talking about "smart technology"
that would supposedly know the difference in drive and doctor, but had
forgotten all about it until that moment.  When I was certain that I had not
made the error I had a good laugh over it.

Rose Combs
rosecombs@xxxxxxxxx