[bookport] Re: Braille notes

  • From: "David Allen" <wd8ldy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:55:25 +1300

Hi Ian:

The book port should suit your purpose very well. I had my book port at least a year before it gained note taker functions through firmware update. I can't say that I use the function a lot. But when I have used it, it has performed quite well. Certainly, the information I put in was available to me when I remembered to recall it. The information wasn't lost when I changed batteries because it is written directly on the card at the time.

The book port is great as a casual note taker. You don't have to wait for it to boot up, and then wait again for your screen reader to turn on. Yes, this additional waiting is there even if you let your screen reader run at Windows start-up.

When the idea was first introduced, I was opposed. My opposition stemmed from a concern that adding note taker functions would decrease the battery life and increase the price. Neither have resulted. Since my book port is the only other device I regularly carry, (besides an accessible cell phone), it is unquestionably the handiest casual note taker available. I generally leave the Braille lite 40 at home in favour of the book port, though I am a strong Braille supporter. It is lighter, easier to carry, and obviously handier. Whether it is a book I need or want to read, music I want to listen to, or a note I need to write, book port serves me equally in every respect.
I don't think you could make a wiser choice! If you find you don't find this to be true, you can sell it through this list. I've been on the list since before getting my book port in March 2004. Since then, I believe I've only seen one instance of someone posting one for sale on here. When that happened, I got the parties connected up fairly quickly, and made another happy book port user in the process. The person wasn't selling because of any problem with the unit. She just decided she wanted the money more than it.

Cheers,
Dave