[bksvol-discuss] Re: page breaks in K1000

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:54:27 -0500

Hi Mike,
Actually, the idea that books only need some page breaks, regardless of
whether they're in the right place or not, is really a loophole. In the vast
majority of cases, books do have proper pagination. The most common
pagination hiccup I've seen is when books are scanned in one-page mode
instead of two, so they have half the right number of pages and the pages
that are there are accurate. What's happening a lot of the time is that the
validator's word processor is adding soft page breaks, which I'm not even
sure will be saved and appear in the final version of the book that
Bookshare gets.

It's really not hard to add in page breaks if you're reading the book
already anyway. If you're just spot checking, then adding the missing breaks
may be a bit more work, but you could try searching for page numbers
sequentially since you'll have the page breaks that do exist as a guide to
whether there are headers or footers. This may be a bit tedious, but
certainly no worse than running the whole book through a spell checker or
ranked spelling.

The page break issue isn't really that difficult, especially when using
Kurzweil for your editor. I'm kind of mystified  as to why this discussion
has become so emotionally fraught and contentious.
Kellie