[bksvol-discuss] Re: link for gift subscription

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:24:27 -0600

Another thing that makes having all books be excellent complicated is the
length and complex structure of most textbooks. I wouldn't like a messy
embossed textbook, but finding a human validator to read through an 800-page
textbook is a real challenge. It takes a long time, it's a lot of work, and
unless you're really interested in the topic it can be very boring. If
proofreaders could be paid, then the textbooks would improve, but that's
really not practical.
Granted, when we scan books we can work hard at having the most ideal
settings, and rescan any pages that don't come out properly, but that still
won't remove all the small errors, or the formatting weirdness that results
from OCR programs trying to understand complex formatting.
Kellie