[bksvol-discuss] Re: link for gift subscription

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:20:46 -0500 (EST)

Jill

Would you want an arbitrary pc tool suggest that your scan didn't pass
muster and shouldn't be looked at by a human validator?
I wouldn't; nor would most submitters given the lack of judgment a piece
of computer has.
Foreign dialects would trip up such a system; so might a few garbled back
or front pages which are not part of the actual text.

The quality of scans continually improve, and so do the number of
submitters.
Also, there is a lot of in-house scanning at Palo Alto done by their high
quality scanning/recognition system.
The challenge is attracting more volunteers to assist with validating and
to have the staff in Palo Alto to process.

I am not an advocate of attempting to limit the number of submissions as
that is the problem with NLS.  Hence, what BookShare faces is the pleasant
dilemma of finding both human and financial resources to aid in growing.

Frankly, I am not so much bothered by the quality of the typical book in
the collection;
I am more troubled by the processing software removing page numbers,
chapter headers and critical header and footer info that would potentially
make the book more valuable.
Given the nature of what BookShare is now, you will never see 100%
perfection in scanning quality.
But it is darn good, and if the processing issues can be effectively dealt
with, and with the march of ocr technology, things will only get better
and better.
Frankly, the more books Bookshare can show are being added, or can be
added, the more donors may be willing to give.
That's why the thrust is to bolster the collection while at the same time
added as many customers as possible.
Donors are impressed by that, and services as RFB&D continually point
numbers such as those as they target individual and corporate donors.