[bksvol-discuss] Re: guidelines for submission fields - first draft

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 06:35:16 -0400 (EDT)

Tina

There is no apparent rhyme or reason once a book is validated as to how
long it will take for it to actually enter the collection.
Some books make it within hours, others sit around for months.
It's exceedingly frustrating to both submitters and validators, needless
to say, but adherence to "guidelines" isn't the culprit.
There are certain apparent priorities in additions to the collection with
books done by inside volunteers at BookShare's office tending to enter the
collection faster along with those received from 3rd party organizations
such as universities.
Similarily, books sought by BookShare for projects, such as Caldecott and
Newberry winners, seem to get priority.
But, if you happen to submit something this morning and Gustavo starts
working from the top of the stack, you may have your book available by
coffee break time.

I've stopped worrying about this as it is outside my control.
The books will eventually make it and hopefully be appreciated by other
users at some point.

So relax, validate, submit and eventually they will be there.  Sort of
reminds me of verses from the Bible where humans are overfocused on time
lines of things they cannot control.