[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:58:53 -0500

Sarah,  have you tried the Microsoft SAPI 4 voices?  They work quite well
with Kurzweil.  They are freeware and I will be more than happy to email
them to you.  They are freeware,  so there won't be any copyright
violations by doing that.

G.

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
05/18/2004 10:05 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: about braille

I had to read an entire book on tape where the name Irene was pronounced
Irene-e.  Of course every single synth reading this message will say that
differently, so know one will really know how it was said, but believe me
it
was annoying, since she was the main character.

I only really love keynote, but I can deal with viavoice all right.
Kurzweil seems to have the best way of respecting punctuation and giving
almost human-like reading to synthesizers, so I really would like keynote
with Kurzweil, but I either get keynote with jaws, or via voice with
Kurzweil, so then I have a hard decision when it comes to being read to by
my computer.

I know what you mean about needing to prove you can exist without your
computer.  Fortunately I can prove that every once in a while without
giving
up my synthesizer. <bg>  I have a braille note, which conveniently is a
keynote synthesizer.  Of course that is not proving I can live without
technology, but I'm already convinced I can't. :-)

Just so everyone knows I am weird too, my particular strangeness, that I
can
think of at this moment, is imagining letters and words have colors.  I
actually think it helps me remember things sometimes.  I learned in the
same
article that I mentioned to Guido before, that there are others who do the
same weird thing.  I felt so much less unique after reading that article.
hehehe

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
curious entity at earthlink dot net