[bksvol-discuss] Re: What type of scanner do I need

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 17:54:48 -0700 (PDT)

I want to second what Em said,  I have gotten several scanners off Freecycle or
Cheapcycle and sent them to people in need when someone posted on the list that
they were interested in a scanner.

You can start with just about anything, just ask Pam Hoffard, and then when you
can upgrade or be blessed with someone's hand-me-down, you really appreciate
how
far a scanner can go. Smiles.

I started my scans on an HP all-in-one, moved to an Epson, then a Canon, and
eventually sucked it in and found a reasonably priced  Optic Book 3600 on eBay,
and never looked back. Having been blessed with the upgrade to the 3800, I can
honestly say there is a significant speed and responsiveness enhancement,
especially with prices being nearly identical, so I hope when Doug and Nichole
are both well again I can get back to some more regular scanning.

Hopefully we can get scanners to everyone who is interested and find mentors to
help them create the best scans possible. I sure do appreciate how hard our
volunteers work!
 Valerie