[bksvol-discuss] Re: Public domain

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:36:16 -0800

Hi. I'm not a lawyer or anything, so it isn't my line of work. Actually, I'm unemployed. It is both of the other two I think. Part of it is annoyance with the system as you put it. Part is also curiosity. PG over the years has done a good job of educating people about how absurd the copyright laws have become. PG was founded in 1971 so they have seen the law change over the years. I guess most of it is curiosity. I've always liked books and I couldn't understand why there was so little for the blind. Yes, there is NLS, but even that is relatively small considering how many millions of books there are. Then I went online and discovered PG. I can remember a few times that I needed a book for high school. They would wait until the day before the class would start reading before they bothered to tell me that I needed to find a copy. Quite a few times PG came to the rescue. Then I wondered why they had nothing after about 1920 or so. That's when I really took an interest in copyright law. Every book from PG says in the header that it is public domain. After reading enough of those, I started wondering what the big deal was. Most recently, I joined the PG volunteer list and have read a few discussions on US and international laws. Also, when BBSs were still popular back in about 1993, I found a FAQ on copyright law which explained most of the basics and accounts for most of what I know and have learned.

At 06:22 PM 3/15/2005 -0800, you wrote:

This is very interesting, Tony, and I thank you for
providing the information.

I'm curious -- how do you happen to know all this? Is
your line of work related or is it curiousity? Or
annoyance at the system (smile)?