[bksvol-discuss] Re: Public domain

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:40:30 -0800

Hi. According to what Jesse told me at the time, this isn't correct. It is up to bookshare to get new books from PG as they see fit. PG doesn't have the resources to send large amounts of books to any group. If you want a large number of books for free, the best thing is to get the PG DVD or CD. Either are free but of course donations are appreciated. All the PG books are made available on the ftp site or the web within an hour or two of the posting notice being sent, so bookshare or any other site can get them almost immediately. As I mentioned before, there are full xml feeds of their catalog or just the new books, so that is no excuse. They could add the new PG books in a completely automated manner if they wanted, so it would not take any time away from the staff.

Also, the problem with the PG books that are available is that over time, PG has corrected many errors in the text and new editions have been released. Bookshare does not have those new editions, so you are stuck with a book that has errors which have already been fixed and shouldn't be there.

Also, you made a comment that PG stuff is too old and doesn't interest you. I encourage everyone on this list to please yell at congress about this. The reason why PG books are so old is because of the US copyright law. Everything prior to 1922 is in the public domain. Almost everything after 1922 is not in the public domain and will not be for 70-120 years, depending on various circumstances. The Hobbit for example, published in 1937, won't be in the public domain until about 2070. I, PG, and others would love to see the copyright law changed.

Finally, I'll conclude with this thought. The only good reason to download books from bookshare instead of PG, apart from the fact that it might be easier for some people, is that they have DAISY and brf formats while PG doesn't. PG usually adds about 10 new books per day which apparently will never be seen on bookshare, since they have stopped gathering from PG. I found one book in particular from PG about early means of sign language for the deaf, as well as many cookbooks and old magazines, but you will not find them on bookshare. This is too bad, if nothing else because of the DAISY and brf formats that bookshare offers.

At 09:24 PM 3/11/2005 -0800, you wrote:

I can't document it, but my understanding is that PG
sends books to bookshare in large groups. Maybe
bookshare hasn't had a chance to absorb them, yet. And
maybe they only want some. I do some work for PG (not
as much as before I found bookshare -- just enough so
that I don't get dropped) and a lot of that stuff is
*very* old and not particularly interesting(at least
to me -- partly why I don' t do more) -- but some of
it certainly is. I sent in Mark Twain's Eve's Diary to
both PG and bookshare.

If you find on PG a particular book that is not on
bookshare and you'd like it, you could ask for it, I'm
sure. Then you could download it in whatever form is
easiest for you to read.