[bksvol-discuss] Public domain

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:43:33 -0800

Hi. There is no reason why the originals should not be on bookshare. They are in the public domain. The official policy seems to be no more public domain books, at least according to Jesse when he was still there. I can partially understand why since we're keeping the admins so busy with scanning and validating, but since the books from PG are already proofread and no real work is required except for file conversion and basic data entry, I don't see why they don't add them. They could just not list them in the new books or create a separate "new public domain books" page or something. PG now has xml feeds of new posts as well as their full catalog so it should be very easy to integrate into bookshare.

At 10:25 PM 3/10/2005 -0500, you wrote:

Actually Tony, that does help me, because I was seriously wondering why
Edmond Spensor's stuff wasn't on bookshare.