[bksvol-discuss] Re: Public domain

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:21:18 -0800 (PST)

Yes, I agree that it doesn't seem right to have
different lengths of time before books et al are in
public domain. But longer periods undercopyright
protect the author and the author's estate. I think
the reason for longer ones is because, at least in the
U.S., the copyrights can be extended once or twice --
I don't remember (and didn't check -- sorry, Tony,
I'll leave that for you, smile). This allows the
author and his/her estate to continue to earn money
from his/her creative work.

Cindy