[bksvol-discuss] Re: Public domain

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:20:11 -0800

Hi. Umm no, not really. The author or estate doesn't earn royalties on out of print books. I would guess that 80-90% of books go out of print, especially after 95-120 years from the author's death. This is exactly what I'm so upset about. Publishers have convinced you and most other people that yes, we really do need longer and longer copyright terms, even though the author doesn't get a penny for his work. This is even more true if the publisher holds the rights. At least if the author holds the rights as most do nowadays, they can pass it on to their estate and the estate can get it reprinted by a different publisher. However, in most cases none of that happens.

It used to be that the standard copyright term in the US was 14 years and could be extended another 14 years. In the 1970's, both were changed to 28 years. Now, it is a flat life plus 70 years for living authors and 95-120 years for dead authors and books published after 1922 in which the copyright was not renewed. Actually, from 1949 on, the copyright doesn't need to be renewed because I think that falls into the 120 year category. From 1923-1949, it gets complicated because if the copyright was not renewed in that time, it is public domain but if it was I think it gets 95 years protection. Yes, this is very confusing and convoluted. You can go to the PG site and read the FAQs to get more of an overview on this, or there are more detailed books etc. Just for completeness, all books published in 1922 or earlier are now public domain, so no one has any rights or ownership of them. I can do anything I want with a public domain work. Note that the above only applies to written works. It does not apply to sound recordings. Also it is not the same as trademarks. You can't copyright a word but you can trademark it. Trademarks fall under a completely different set of laws. For those who don't know, the PG site is:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

At 08:21 PM 3/14/2005 -0800, you wrote:
Yes, I agree that it doesn't seem right to have
different lengths of time before books et al are in
public domain. But longer periods undercopyright
protect the author and the author's estate. I think
the reason for longer ones is because, at least in the
U.S., the copyrights can be extended once or twice --
I don't remember (and didn't check -- sorry, Tony,
I'll leave that for you, smile). This allows the
author and his/her estate to continue to earn money
from his/her creative work.