[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Sign Language

  • From: "siss52" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 23:40:28 -0500

Hi Cindy,

You are not at all oout of line.  SMILE  In my case, I have always been
blind, so if I had a choice of which sense to get back, I would choose my
hearing.  I was a musician, so I really miss my music.  You are right,
though, one cannot dwell on it but must pick up the pieces and go on.  I can
hoonestly say that life is still good.

You may be interested to know that signing is not my favorite way to
communicate because most of my friends do not kknoow sign language.  I have
two machines with typing keys and Braille ooutput on them.  One is manual
and portable, and the other is two units, one Braille and the other typing,
that just operaFingerspelling, writing print letters in the palm, and sign
language are the methods mostly used.  I am very thankful I got my
education, raised our boys, and worked many years before losing my hearing.
SMMILE

Sue S.tes oon battery for an hour.  So anyone who can spell words can
communicate with me and we do not have to touch one another.  Of course a
few hand signals are great for something quick, or when neither one of my
machines is available.  You might also be interested to know that the method
of communication Helen Keller used where she had to feel her teacher's mouth
and throat is no longer taught.  Fingerspelling, writing print letters in
the palm, or sign language where one always needs an interpreter are the
methods now used for those who are not fluent Braille readers.  There is
also some kind of electronic method for people who do not have
understandable speech but I know nothing about that because I have
understandable speech.  SMILE

Sue S.