[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Sign Language

  • From: Barbara <barbarab65@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 20:31:29 -0700 (PDT)

That's a cute story!

Lora <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:          I have a story to tell about sign
language.  I attended public school, but up through sixth grade, I spent one
hour a day in a resource room, learning Braille, typing, and other blindness
skills.  I learned to finger spell.  One of my closest friends was dyslexic,
and in a wheelchair, but had normal vision.  Because of her dyslexia, she would
come into the resource room to work on reading and spelling.

  Our primary instructor was blind.  When Michelle got stuck on a difficult
word, she'd tap me, and I'd finger spell how to spell it.

  It was very very bad, but we were kids, what can I say.

  I never did learn more than finger spelling, because as several have said,
much of sign language includes posture, subtle body movements and facial
expressions that, no matter how talented we are, are just darned difficult to
observe without vision.

  Lora