[bksvol-discuss] Re: My nickel's worth--quality control

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:13:09 -0500

Oddly, even in newer books, sometimes the isbn is not printed; I have no idea
why, but that is definitely the case. Also, occasionally, they don't scan
right, causing the upload to have to be redone because the
ssystem doesn't recognize the messed up isbn as valid, which it isn't, of
course. Really, I can't see getting  very excited about a missing isbn. If its
not there, and you feel like adding it, then go for it. If not, its hardly
something to  get very upset about, since Jesse himself has said they don't
have to be included, and he didn't say that was true just for older books.  I'm
all for quality, and I do tend to put in the isbn. But there is such
a world of difference between a missing isbn or even missing page numbers, as
opposed to garbled text that is so mangled as to preclude one's understanding
of what the author is trying to convey. I wish we could
keep that fact in mind when discussing quality of books.
Mary