[bksvol-discuss] Re: My nickel's worth--quality control

  • From: "Gary Wunder" <gwunder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:10:10 -0500

I agree. As a kid I tried my hand at dish washing and wanted to
be fast at it. My mother was encouraged by my enthusiasm but put
back things which still had grease on the sides or little specs
which were perfectly feelable. She told me she was glad I was
helping to wash but the outcome had to be that the dish was
clean.

Now I'm not making a case for perfect scans, but nothing is more
frustrating than to get into the middle of a book and then
realize that suddenly I am hearing two columns of the book read
side by side. These books have never been read by anyone either
the scanner or the validator or they wouldn't appear like this.
Someone, be it the scanner or validator, it seems to me, has to
take responsibility for a read through. If it is the scanner,
then the validators job is easier. If it is not the scanner, then
the validator needs to be warned that he/she needs to read cover
to cover.

Just my opinion, and presented respectfully I hope.