[bksvol-discuss] Re: Describing Pictures In Children's Books

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 14:40:54 -0500

Dear Monica,

Your observations on picture descriptions are insightful. When I write them, I
try and match the vocabulary I use to the book's reading level. For books
intended to be read aloud, particularly picture and storybooks for
preschoolers,and Kindergarteners, I try and match my descriptive language to
the author's tone.

When I was teaching children who found reading difficult, I gave them the
option of skipping picture descriptions which could make the book
discouragingly longer for them. I also try to gauge the quantity of detail so
I'm not describing more than a child would be interested in hearing, or details
which would have little meaning or pertinence to the story.

I place the description within brackets and preface it with picture:. When kids
see left bracket picture, they either read it or slide their finger down to the
next section of text and continue reading from there.

To make this easier for children, I always place the description, if it is on
the same page with text, at the top or bottom, never with text on the same page
above and below my insert.

I agree with you completely that picture descriptions flow nicely and easily
for any child who is listening to a book. I also feel these descriptions are a
tremendous help to blind parents reading to children, and to sighted adults who
generally aren't used to pausing to describe pictures for children who can't
see them. And, though we are providing a meaningful service by taking time to
compose picture descriptions, adults and children reading braille and print
have the option of reading them or not, the wonderful luxury of choice.

Your instincts are solid, Monica, so I'm not sure if I've said anything you
hadn't already intuited.

Always with love,

Lissi