[bksvol-discuss] Re: Describing Pictures In Children's Books

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 06:15:41 -0500

Hi, Jill. I agree that very young children would have trouble reading for themselves. I should have been more clear on what I'm working on. I'm working on books meant for first, second, and third grade readers who may have access to Bookshare due to the new education grant. Braille literacy is so important, and I want our young readers to have high-quality copies of books to read that will help them practice their reading skills. Their teachers and/or parents could help them download the books, and I'm told that many schools provide Pacmates and BrailleNotes to young students in resource rooms and such. My group of girls is focusing on books from the Accellerated Reading lists which are divided up into grade levels. Students are often given a choice of reading several books from a certain grade level. I want our Bookshare students to have as much choice as sighted kids do. I don't really know how many kids will actually use these books. I'd like them to be there though so we can let teachers know that Bookshare can help students of all ages.

Monica Willyard

For what it's worth, I think books for very young children would have to be read by blind parents because the books would be in grade II braille and I don't think little ones would appreciate reading in synthetic speech. And if I'm right, I don't think really young children who are sighted would appreciate a book without pictures, even if there were written descriptions, and I doubt if they were blind the written descriptions pictures would mean much to them. I know this sounds negative and it is why I have never been enthusiastic about children's books where pictures are so important. I know of at least two sources where books have both braille, print and the pictures with their descriptions which I consider to be far more appropriate for young children. Bookshare doesn't need to try to fill every niche in my opinion. I'm expecting a lot of opposition to this opinion, however.