[bksvol-discuss] Re: Describing Pictures In Children's Books

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:49:06 -0500

Hi all,

Grandma, as far as PC goes, I don't know what's correct. I thought the latest was Afro-American, but I would, if I were thee, go with the general rule of thumb when dealing with persons with disabilities. Put the person first, e.g the man who uses a wheelchair. The woman who is blind. Ann Parsons who reads braille. If you use a word, sensible people will look at your intentions. I don't yell at people for calling me sightless, or visually challenged, I know that they mean well. So, I figure, and any Afro-American on this list can correct me. If you call somebody Black, and you mean well, It's OK. Some people do prefer different labels depending on age and political bent. However, if you put the person first, you can't be faulted. Or, at least you shouldn't be.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring