[bksvol-discuss] Re: Awesome - 151,663 Titles on Bookshare

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 12:44:34 -0400

The reason two sighted people can look at something and see different things is because of all of those details. Some details will catch one person's attention and other details will catch another person's attention. Some details will seem more important to some people and other details will seem more important to others. That is one reason why a description can never replace the picture. The describer is describing the details that strike the describer as important. There is no telling what may not be mentioned that you would have considered important if you had known about it. As for distractions, well, being able to see all of those details certainly gives you more to be distracted by. I have found that when I became blind I was forced to concentrate on a lot of things that were not matters of concentration before. When I even walk down the street I have to concentrate on virtually every step, keep track of where I am, think ahead to the next landmark or street corner and so forth. When I could see I could just walk down the street concentrating solely on what I was going to do when I got to my destination. Frankly, it would be really nice if I could go back to concentrating on what I want to concentrate on rather than what I have to concentrate on, but I have to put up with the situation I am in. Some people are more easily distracted than others. That is one reason why some people are better at learning something than others. Some people can sit in a classroom and look at the material on their desk and listen to the teacher and be absorbed by it. Others glance up at the window and find themselves thinking about what they see outside and completely miss the lesson in progress. A totally blind person may not have those distractions, but I am sure they do still have their distractions even if it is a matter of thinking ahead to what they are going to have for dinner. It takes self discipline to filter out the unimportant distractions and some people are successful at it and others are not. It can be annoying to be trying to engage someone and then realize that the person is not paying attention to you, but that is the way things go.

On 6/23/2012 12:02 PM, Sandi Ryan wrote:
Just one thought on this topic: Since one sighted person sees something different from another's perception, who is to say who sees "the whole picture" and who doesn't? You have a right, of course, to believe that sight is the way to "see" things as they are, and nothing else is as good. Having been blind all my life, I find that too many details just clutter up my brain. Do I want description? Yes, I do. It gives me a mental picture--valid or not--of what I'm reading about. Many authors do this extremely well without pictures--they do it in words. Those are the best descriptions, because they come directly from the author's mind. But do I need to know about missing hairs, dust motes, etc.? Only if it has value to the story. I've always felt a little lucky not to have to be distracted by everything people can see. Nothing annoys me more than standing somewhere having a conversation with a sighted person, who's purportedly paying attention to our conversation, and to have them suddenly yell out "Hey, Judy, I need to talk to you!" As a blind person, when I'm with you talking, I'm with you! In that way, I think blindness is better! Now, before you think I believe everyone should be blind, I'll tell you I do not. But I do think a lot of sighted people need to stop being distracted by every little thing they can see and learn to focus their vision, as I must focus my hearing, touch, smell and taste, to "see" not the whole world, but the important parts!
There you have the opinion of a blind person.
Sandi

        *From:* Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>