[bksvol-discuss] Re: Awesome - 151,663 Titles on Bookshare

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:15:49 -0400

It is interesting that when I click the search button without filling anything in the search field I thought I was getting a list of every book Bookshare has, but I only get 145,688 titles returned. I don't really have a lot of reason to have a list of every single book in the collection sitting right in front of me, but I thought that was a way to find out how many books were in the collection. It is apparently not. I think I see the reason for the discrepancy. I have my advanced search settings set for as broad a search of the collection as possible and assume that if I want it to be narrower I can narrow it for a specific search when I do that specific search. The problem seems to be the language. I have it set to search American English and I see no way to search for more than one language at a time. The only reason I would have to search for all languages at once is to see how many books are in the collection, but that is now taken care of by this new counter feature. However, it would really be nice if I could search for American English and British English at the same time. They are treated as separate languages though. I can see why the choice of specifying a language is there. There is no point in searching for books in a language that one cannot read. However, when it comes to British English and American English there really should not be anyone who can read one and not the other. I don't see why they are treated as different languages in the search feature. As long as they are, though, does anyone know how to search both at one time without having to do a different search for each language?

On 6/22/2012 3:40 PM, Judy s. wrote:
I just looked at the new version of Bookshare's entry page on the website (http://www.bookshare.org). I love the new feature on the right hand side of the page that's a counter of how many books are in the collection. As of today, there are 151,663 titles. That is totally awesome.

As a sighted but disabled member, I'm also grateful for and thrilled by the number of publisher quality books that have entered the collection in the last 18 months with the original illustrations intact. I haven't read a book where I can look at the illustrations for over 20 years. Way to go, Bookshare! I'm psyched about the POET project to get illustrations described. It gives me hope that eventually everyone can have access to both illustrations and good descriptions of the illustrations in the future.

Judy s.