[AZ-Observing] Re: amateur telescope

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:48:04 -0700

Hello Barb,

The ETX 90 is a better scope than the ETX 80, but retails for a lot
more. Retail price is around $600. There are two options for it. One
with a special coating for $50 more and one without the coating.
Remember you would be buying used so you don't know for sure the
condition. It would probably be okay, however. I see it comes with a
hard case. That's nice and worth another $50 or so. If you could get
it for under $500, I would say it is a good deal.

If you want to spend up to $1,000 there are many other options.The
smaller scopes are great for portability and for observing the Moon
and planets. They do not so well on deep sky objects, e.g., galaxies
and nebula. For those you need a large telescope to gather more
light. An 8" DOB is great for portability and having the ability to
do decent deep sky observing. A 10" or 12" is even better, but more
money a a lot more to handle.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins