[AZ-Observing] Re: amateur telescope

  • From: "Laurel" <laureldunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 17:42:55 -0700

Barb-

Telescopes large or small are only as good as the optics they contain.

That is, the primary mirror secondary mirror and/or lenses have to work
optimally to give the best views.  Over several years I was once a student
grinding and figuring my own 10" primary mirror for a Newtonian Reflector.
Many members of clubs in Phoenix, Scottsdale (where I once lived for 40years
or so) and Tucson, know plenty about how to test the optics of any
telescope.

The first scope I purchased for our family was indeed considered a small
scope and very affordable ~500.  I was fortunate in that the optics for that
scope were very very good.  What I came to learn back then, as a novice, is
that our small scope gave more "Cear" views than many much larger scopes we
would look through at star parties.  It was after this, when I became a
student of mirror making and learned why this small scope out performed so
many others.

Going to star parties and comparing scopes is a good idea as well as looking
at the physical set up of how easy it is to use >>>> Something that is more
important to me now at >>>my age.  Advice comes well intended from all
directions, but consider taking along a club member who knows something
about optical performance before investing.

At the very least, my advice would be to go for quality not necessarily
quantity.  If the optical system is not good then magnification means
absolutely nothing.  And a sub-optimal view can also be a frustrating
experience.  Personally, I would not buy a telescope I had not looked
through myself.

Regards,
Laurel Sparks-Dunlap