[AZ-Observing] Re: amateur telescope

  • From: Andrew Cooper <acooper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:29:48 -0700

I would second the advice Bob gave you, step back from the brink of
buying a scope and attend one of  your local star parties in a couple weeks.

There is no need to own a scope to attend a star party.  Just mention
you are in the market to buy a scope and you will be invited to look
though all sorts of telescopes while getting piles of advice on the
subject, sometimes very opinionated.  Listen to what is said and look
through the scopes and decide for yourself what would work for you.
Maybe you decide what scope to buy, maybe you decide to keep you money,
either way you will be much happier with your decision.

You are very welcome at star parties as long as you follow the etiquette
of such events, check http://www.eastvalleyastronomy.org/etiquette.html
for a few simple guidelines.

Here in Tucson our TIMPA events are attended by many of our newer
members, people just a few steps ahead of you, a great crowd to learn
from on just that subject.  Info at http://www.tucsonastronomy.org

Andrew

Andrew Cooper
http://www.siowl.com