[AZ-Observing] Re: amateur telescope

  • From: "Frank Honer" <fhoner@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:41:11 -0700

Barb,

I second Bob's advice below. You really won't know what you want or IF you
want a telescope until you see what various telescope designs can do.
Attending a star party or two is a great way to accomplish this. I've
recommended this approach to several of my friends. The ones who took the
advice made a much more informed purchase.

Also, I had a couple of friends that attended a star party and found that
the hobby wasn't really what they had thought it would be. Better to "test
drive" the equipment first before making a major purchase.

One more point. I think you will find that amatuer astronomers will be more
than happy (excited?) to help a novice and will give you all the advice you
need.

Frank Honer