[AZ-Observing] Re: amateur telescope

  • From: "Stars" <stars@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:09:49 -0700

I would suggest that you purchase the ETX-90PE telescope; www.optcorp.com
has them for $749 with free shipping. This telescope finds true north and
levels itself, which is one of the major headaches of a novice learning to
align and use a telescope. I had both a ETX-90 and ETX-125 and did not like
the alignment procedures that I had to go through to get it to be aligned,
the PE versions are much easier to use.  You will still have to learn the
location and names of the stars to do a two-star alignment so that the
telescope knows where it is pointing, but at least getting it pointed to
true north and leveling it will be done for you.

Tom Hilton